Skip to main content

Baking Around goes to Italy

Since I couldn't be here for Kyles actual birthday, I made him a cake today instead! Today was the first day I went out on my own. I accomplished ordering a cappuccino and going to the market all by myself! Such an accomplishment. I loved going to the market and looking at everything. I'm pretty sure I was asked like 10 times if I needed help because I would just stand there and stare at all the packaging. This is what I bought to bake a cake with, they even had candles too! It took me about an hour to figure out how to use the oven though. I pretty much took the whole thing apart (not the first time I've taken an oven apart) to find out that you need to light it with a lighter. Luckily the internet was working today so I also went online and searched for the manual for about 30 minutes. Once I decoded that I was ready to bake a cake! Now baking in another country, not terribly difficult...but baking in Kyles kitchen?! Thats another story. The poor guy doesn't really have much so I improvised a lot.

Since everything was in Italiano, this is what I was working with:

"Prepare 1 terrina, 1 sbattitore elettrico con fruste, 1 tortiera preferibilmente a cerchio apribile con il solo fondo imburrato ed infarinato. Togliere dal frigorifero il burro, le uova e il latte mezz'ora prima dell'uso."

Try translating that! Its actually pretty easy, with my knowledge of baking its a lot easier for me to read about baking things than it is to read the newspaper or something, I surprisingly did very well in the store with buying things. This is what it translates to:
"Prepare 1 bowl, 1 electric mixer with beaters, 1 cake pan preferably in a circle opening with the bottom buttered and floured. Remove from the refrigerator butter, eggs and milk half an hour before use."

The Italians are very descriptive here, half of those things are just assumed in the states, where here they lay every detail out for you so even someone...say Kyle...can bake this cake!




I was out on the balcony painting my nails and taking in the day when he came home, he was so excited that I had baked him a cake! I also had dinner ready to cook, he had bought steaks the other day on base so I had been thawing them all day and seasoned them. Kyle has a charcoal grill, which I've never used. So I did wait till he came home to make dinner since I knew I would probably just ruin things if I tried using the grill without him. He started working on the nightstands we got the other day while I Skyped my dad. Nick came in to say hello for a bit too. I lost track of time when I was talking to day, typical, and had to let him go because I needed to start dinner and it was getting late. Kyle successfully finished one nightstand and started on the other one before I came in to tell him I was attempting to grill for the first time on a charcoal grill. He jumped up instantly and came out on the balcony to teach me.

We are having steak, potatoes, salad and Italian wine + birthday cake tonight, Dad said he'd be here in an hour so I better go finish dinner! ;)

 Mae

Comments

  1. Thank you Laura for sharing every breath, bite and visual moment on your blog. It has been so much fun to follow it!
    I can tell you need to go back for another visit. Italy and you are simpatico! Breathe deep, enjoy the trip and ordering on your own is the sign of a seasoned traveler. Have fun.
    xo
    Dana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a table

So these are some of the things I do all day while I'm home alone when Kyle has to work. I usually go down to the corner cafe then go over to the markets and get what I need for dinner that night or any other random things we seem to need. If its not raining I'll go walk around the neighborhood and get lost and find my way back. This all needs to be done before 1 or 2 because thats nap time over here for everyone. All the shops close up for a few hours and go have huge lunches then sleep till its time to open up again for the evening. So today I built a table during those hours! Kyle bought this table from the NEX (the Navy Exchange on base) because the table he had barely fit the two of us, let alone a crowd if he ever had one. Plus his kitchen is big enough and he had gift cards so might as well! They delivered it around 9am and just put it in the kitchen then left. So it was up to us to build it. Well that was a bigger task than I expected when I started opening up the box.

Wine Tasting in Avellino

Today we went wine tasting with Aldo today in Avellino! The tour started at base and headed up the mountains towards Avellino. They made a stop at a rest area for cafĂ©! My favorite!  It didn't take too long to get up to the winery. The name was Colli Di Castelfranci. Castlefranci is a small village in the heart of Irpinia which is in the Province of Avellino. This logo on the wall their son created. He seemed pretty young and was the one who has started to take over production of the place. Grandpa and dad still lived there and worked but the son did most of it.  The winery is very organic and they try to use all natural everything when they can. They even reuse willow tree branches and things like that for ways to hold up the vines or to tie things together instead of using plastic or metal objects. Aldo is holding some dried branches that when you soak in water they become soft enough to tie into a knot. Inside is where they store the wine in huge

Capri

It was such an early morning this morning! I'm used to waking up early every day but usually I get to go back to sleep after Kyle leaves for work. This time we both had to get up and leave because we were going to Capri! The second we saw who our tour guide was I got so excited because it was Aldo from Pompeii!! We knew then that it would be a good trip and well worth it! First we took a bus down to the docks where Aldo worked it out for us to board an hour early so we got an extra hour on the island. Nice! We got on a catamaran called SNAV that reminded me of the Catalina Flyer. The boat ride to Capri from the bay of Naples is about 50 minutes, I think. I actually wouldn't know because I slept the whole ride over. Capri seriously is the Catalina of Italy. It's really pretty and they have a main tourist harbor where everything is then residential on the back side. We went on this tour once we got there that took us to the Blue Grotto. You took this motorboat o